Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who was Mary Jones?

The headstone of Mary Jones dated 1729 
I have a thing for old graveyards.

Being a history buff I find it fascinating to walk among the headstones and read the names, dates, and inscriptions that sometimes tell the sad tale of an untimely passing, or warn us that we will face a similar fate one day. 

You can get a feel of how close the people of the 18th century were to death.  Many of the headstones are that of children; sometimes it appears as though nearly an entire family generation was taken through disease, or sickness.  It's sad commentary on the conditions of the day where life was indeed short, and death was an accepted part of everyday life. While there are headstones that contain evidence that people did live into their 70s, it appears to be the exception rather than the rule.  Many only lived to the ripe old age of 40.

For some time I wanted to visit the Old Burying Ground in Colchester center (Connecticut).  I must have passed by it dozens of times on my way to the beach, but never stopped to go inside and wander.  It's an amazing place to read the stones, as many from the 1700s are still readable, containing poems and biblical verses, and stories of accomplishments and accolades.

After spending a good half hour reading and reflecting, I happened upon a section of the graveyard that struck me as somewhat bizarre.  A rather large tree stands in the distant corner of the graveyard, and around it, twenty, perhaps more, broken or fractured headstones.  I rounded the tree, and saw some complete headstones leaning awkwardly against the base of the tree. 

Gravestones laying against the tree
One of these stones jumped out at me - it simply read, "1729 Mary Jones".  The stone wasn't broken, and from my earlier survey of the cemetery, I recognized it to be similar in size and shape to a few of the same era.  I guess seeing the stone left against the tree; lifted from where it belonged - above the grave of poor departed Ms. Jones - sort of bothered me.  In a sympathetic way, I imagined what I might think if 200 years from now someone took my gravestone and laid it against a tree. 

In fairness to the caretakers of this graveyard, there may be a very good reason for why these stones have been removed from their proper places.  I wondered if they were uprooted by weather and frost, or vandalized by local kids.  But why haven't they been put back?  Don't they have a graveyard plot plan?  Some historical record of where people are buried? Who's responsible for leaving poor Ms. Jones' gravestone misplaced? I can't say I felt anger, but perhaps concern or slight outrage.

Top half of Corden Bulkley's grave

I then circled to find another headstone against the tree.  That of Corden Bulkley - probably of the same era.  And there were many more stacked around the tree. This was certainly becoming an interesting mystery.  Stumped, I left for home.

During the week, my mind drifted several times back to the Old Graveyard.  And Who was Mary Jones?

A few days later, I stopped by the Federated Church which adjoins the Old Buring Ground.  But after speaking to a few people inside they informed me that the Graveyard was at one time owned and maintained by the previous Church - likely a Congregational Church some time ago, but is not maintained or affiliated with the current Church.

The people at the Church were very nice.  But alas while they didn't know much about the state or care-taking of the Graveyard, they related a story about the recent unearthing of a crypt under a hill of grass believed to be hidden for perhaps a century, or more.  That may be a story for another day.

The Church folks directed me to the Colchester Historical Society which I attempted to contact by phone.  But they did not answer, in fact no one seems to ever answer, or ever be there.  I will try again next week.  Perhaps the ghost of Mary Jones and Corden Bulkley are directing me to get these answers, or to get me to pursue having their headstones put back where they belong.  Or maybe its my overactive imagination trying to just solve a good mystery around All Hallows Eve.  Who knows.

Watch this space. I'll update you on what I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment